Wednesday, June 3, 2015

House Shrine Box by Barbara Rankin


Hi everyone!  I am so happy to be here today, as this is my first post with Gina's Designs.  I was thrilled when I was asked to be their guest designer for June, and I hope I can inspire you with my creations.  I have to admit though, that with great products, such as these, it is quite easy to make even me "look good".  

I love birds and wings and feathers, so my first project is an altered bird house, using Gina's House Shrine Box.  

Assemble box with Beacon's Quick Grip glue.  Coat entire box with white gesso and let dry.  Then color inside of box with Spanish Moss, and the outside with Cascade chalk paint.

Trim a piece of print paper from the Tim Holtz Wallflower paper pad to fit inside the house, distress edges, ink with Chestnut Roan chalk ink.  Adhere inside box.

 Cut an irregular piece of the Chicken Wire Large, color with Krylon Silver Leafing Pen.  Adhere at the top of the box opening with the Quick Grip glue.

Measure and cut Boarders Sticks Lace to fit along roof eaves.  Coat both sides with white gesso, then paint with ColourArte Indian Copper Radiant Gel.  Cut a 2" x  8" piece of silver duct tape, emboss with a decorative embossing folder.  Trim length of duct tape to 1-3/4" to fit the roof.  Paint the silver side with Indian Copper.  Pick up a tiny amount of the Cascade chalk paint with your finger and dab randomly over the lace border, as well as the duct tape, to simulate patina on copper.  Peel off adhesive liner on the duct tape and adhere to the top of the roof first, then adhere the lace border along the eaves.  Use the two extra lace pieces to form a decorative element at the center where the two border strips join. 
 


Coat one of the birds from the Birds on Branches Assortment with white gesso, let dry.  Color with Silks Acrylic Glaze in Nutmeg, Pretty Peridot, Silver Bells, Mango Mamba, Ocean Wave. 

Cut a few branches off of one of the Leafy Branches with Birds and coat with white gesso.  Paint the leaves with Pretty Peridot and the branches with Nutmeg Silks.  Adhere both pieces to the side of the house and part of the chicken wire for support.


I first sketched in some details on my bare bird with a pencil, then painted it with the Silks Acrylic Glaze in Pretty Peridot, Silver Bells, Mango Mamba, Ocean Wave.  I drew the eye with a black marker and the white spot from a white gel pen.  For added depth, I used a charcoal pencil to shade in the same areas as my sketch.
 Make three eggs from Creative Paperclay and a tiny bird's nest from green excelsior.  Paint the eggs blue and add tiny dots of brown to each egg.  Place inside the nest and then place the nest inside the house. I attached a 1/4" dowel, approximately 1-1/2" long, to the back of my bird so I could attach him to the back of the house, but make him appear to be sitting on the nest.


Coat the Hypericum Berries with white gesso, then paint with Olive Vine and Rusty Mauve Silks, let dry.  Add dots of 3D Crystal Lacquer to each berry.  Adhere to front of house.  Here a a few closeups.


 




Gina's Designs supplies used:

Other supplies used:
White gesso (Liquitex)
2" wide silver duct tape 
Beacon Quick Grip glue
FolkArt Home Decor Chalk Paint (Cascade, Spanish Moss)
ColourArte Radiant Gel (Indian Copper)
ColourArte Silks:  (Nutmeg, Pretty Peridot, Silver Bells, Mango Mamba, Ocean Wave, Olive Vine, Rusty Mauve)
Decorative embossing folder
Chestnut Roan chalk ink
Tim Holtz Wallflower paper pad
Krylon Silver Leaving Pen
Green Excelsior
Light Green Moss
Petaloo tiny blue flowers
Black Pen
White gel pen
Charcoal pencil (for shading)

Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I hope I have inspired you to try making some of your own art projects with Gina's Designs.

Until next week, when I have another project for you, I hope you will have a very creative week.

Barbara Rankin


6 comments:

  1. Wow, Barbara, your project is gorgeous! Your details are what make this project so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome box, Barbara, love the detail work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so charming - I love it! all the little details and special 'thought of's' make this memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Barbara...love all the photos that you shared to see just how amazing your project is!!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this barbara.. and you're right Gina's Designs has such amazing selection of laser cut chippy's she can make many a project look good.!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...