Monday, April 13, 2015

Under the Sea Mixed Media Canvas

Hi Everyone! Barb here with a 5 x 7" mixed media canvas to show you.
I fell in love with Gina's Designs Sea Horse Shapes the minute I saw them,
and being a lover of all things ocean,
the Beach Shape Set wasn't far behind. I couldn't wait to play with them.
The finished piece has a feel to it that reminds me of a blissful day I once spent snorkeling in the Caribbean.
I began with a background that I had previously created, knowing that I eventually wanted to do something ocean related. This was done using a combination of acrylic paints, a stencil, and a thicker iridescent acrylic medium.
(For more on how I did the background, please visit my blog at In The Studio With Barb.)
For the sea horses, I first coated the pieces with a light green acrylic paint. Once dry, I stamped them using StazOn ink. I gave them a splatter effect using a rubber stamp that looks like splatter and Delicata gold ink. To finish them off, I outlined them using a gold Pico Embellisher.

For the sand dollar, I sponged on white acrylic paint. When it was mostly dry, I used my fingertip to dab on Clear Rock Candy Distress Stickles. Then I used Liquid Pearls White Opal to do the inner "flower" of the sand dollar.
The sea star was made by pushing it into an orange craft ink pad. While it was still wet, I dabbed some red ink around the edges, then finished it by adding orange Stickles.

With everything dry, I glued the pieces on, adding fronds of peacock feathers to mimic seaweed, and some small shells that I have in my stash of crafty fun stuff.

I enjoyed making this piece almost as much as I enjoyed that day in the Caribbean. 
Almost. *grin*

Gina's Designs Products



Other Products Used
Canvas panel
Acrylic Paint
Stickles
Beacons 3-in-1 glue
Stencil Girl Stencil
ImagineCrafts Creative Medium
Pallet Knife
ImagineCrafts Pico Embellisher
Liquid Pearls
StazOn Jet Black ink
Rubber Stamps (Sorry, I have no idea who made them!)

2 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful, Barb! Love those gorgeous ocean colors, perfect for your chipboard sea creatures.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...