Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Altered Canvas - Mermaids by Nancy

Hi everyone, Nancy here with a 12 x 12 inverted canvas featuring our mermaids, one of my favorite shapes to play with.  The larger mermaid I had custom cut in a larger size by special request. 

 I began my project by painting the wooden frame on the backside of the canvas with gesso, followed by ink sprays, then texture paste applied through a stencil.  I rubbed on more gesso to get the look I wanted.  I then flipped the canvas over, and applied a script patterned tissue paper to the front side of the canvas with Mod Podge.  I followed that by spraying the script paper with ink sprays in ocean colors.  I then cut the canvas with sharp scissors randomly from the center, then rolled the sections and adhered them to the frame with hot glue.  At that point the canvas has no backing so I adhered a 12 x 12 sticky backed canvas sheet to a piece of 12 x 12 chipboard.  I painted that with an ocean scene and then adhered the piece to the backside of the canvas with gel medium.  Then I just needed to decorate the inside and of course my mermaids.


I painted the mermaids with gesso, followed by a white pearlescent paint.  When the paint was dry I added texture paste and used a small painters spatula to create swirls to look like fish scales.  When the texture paste was dry, I painted over it with various shimmering paints like silks, twinkling H20's, pearl-ex powders mixed with water, and acrylic metallics.  The type of paint didn't really matter as long as it was shimmery, and I just used whatever I happened to have in the colors I wanted.  I drew the hair on with a thick coat of glossy accents, forming waves, and then poured glass micro beads over the glossy accents.  I was happy with the way they turned out.  Thanks for looking!

Gina's Design Products Used:

Custom Cut Mermaids (8 inch by special request)

Lace appliques by Cathy's Crazy By Design on Etsy

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...